What is a Learning Management System anyway?
While there are several definitions of a Learning Management System (LMS), the basic description is a software application that automates the administration, tracking and reporting of training events. However it is not that simple, a robust LMS should be able to do the following:
- Centralize and automate administration
- Use self-service and self-guided services
- assemble and deliver learning content rapidly
- consolidate training initiatives on a scalable web-based platform
- Support portability and standards
- Personalize content and enable knowledge reuse
Most importantly, a LMS should integrate with other pre-existing systems and metrics used by HR, Accounting and Operations enabling management to measure the impact, effectiveness and overall cost of training initiatives.
To learn more about the future of People Development, click here.